It’s no secret that I love to eat my fruits and veggies. But life is all about balance, and well, this girl loves her some sweets too. So I was excited when I came upon this link party called Sweets for a Saturday by Lisa of Sweet As Sugar Cookies. It’s basically on online potluck where people share the sweet treats they have made for the week. In a nutshell, make sure you have something handy to wipe up all your drool *dribble, dribble* ;) Because each dessert looks better than the last.
Before I continue on with my Sweets for a Saturday I have to apologize first. You see, I have been holding on to this recipe for way too long. I keep meaning to share it with you all but something always seems to come up. So forgive me for my tardiness, but as they say, better late than never!
I had the pleasure of eating this most amazing cake for the first time a few months back. My girlfriend Paola, her husband Brian and sweet little girl Malia came over for dinner one night. I made the main dish and the appetizers and she brought the salad and the dessert. And ever since I have seemed to develop an addiction. No seriously, I have a Tres Leches problem.
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 tbs boiling water
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Tres Leches Wash
1 14 oz can condensed milk
1 12 oz can evaporated milk
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1-2 shots of dark spiced rum (about 1/2 cup) *optional
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 egg whites
6 tbs sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Separate egg whites from yolks and beat whites in an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
3. Fold in yolks and sugar gradually. Alternate one yolk and a bit of sugar until it is all incorporated.
4. In a medium bowl, sift flour and baking powder together. Using the electric mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to egg white mixture until smooth. Add vanilla and boiling water to batter and mix until just combined.
5. Pour mixture into a 9 x 13 inch greased pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a pierced knife comes out clean and dry.
6. While cake is baking, combine evaporated and condensed milk, whipping cream, rum and vanilla in a large bowl. Mix with a spoon until combined.
7. When the cake is done, pierce the surface with a fork several times. Carefully pour the tres leches wash over the cake, making sure you cover all areas including the edges.
8. Cover and refrigerate the cake for at least a couple of hours or for best results, overnight. The longer the cake is able to sit, the better.
9. When you are ready to serve the cake, prepare the meringue. Using an electric mixer, beat 3 egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Then, add sugar by the tablespoon until combined. Spread meringue over the top of the cake and decorate with fresh fruit or sprinkles. Cut into squares and serve.
I am sure I have had Tres Leches Cake somewhere down the line before, but I can tell you what, it wasn’t nearly as good as Paola’s. This cake is moist, sweet, silky, and all together A.MAZ.ING! Pair it with some fresh sliced strawberries, and a few chocolate sprinkles and you may or may not attempt to eat the entire cake. I’m not saying I did…I’m just saying…