What’s in the Box? #26

As much as I love spring for all the beautiful, bountiful produce that is available, it’s hard to ignore the effect this season has on my allergies.  For some reason, this past week has been pretty brutal.  Runny nose, watery eyes, sneezing…constantly.  It’s been a bit unpleasant to say the least.  But when Wednesday comes along, and I open my box to find another round of fresh, local, and organic goodness, it tends to make up for all the temporary discomfort.

You know what else helps to take my mind off these stinkin’ allergies?  Our weekly link party!  And it continues to grow every week :)  Last week we had 23 link ups!  Make sure you check them out.  They are flooded with delicious recipes, killer cocktails and smart storage tips.  Thank you to everyone who has participated.  You are true produce rock stars!

For those of you linking up for the first time, click here for some info on party etiquette.  And welcome!  We are glad to have you :)

Looks like it’s my turn…

Yes!  Cherries!!!  Do you know how happy this bag of cherries made me?  How about happy enough to devour each and every one…immediately :)  Cherries are in my top favorite fruits and I wait patiently every year for my first delivery of cherries.  Glorious!

Can you believe I am also pretty psyched about that chard?  Thanks to the link party, I have an arsenal of delicious recipes that all include chard.  The hardest part is going to be deciding which one to try first…eeny, meeny, miny, moe!  (Am I the only one who uses this method to help make decisions?)

One thing I don’t have to think about this week is my lettuce.  There have been some pretty awesome salads linking up that are inspiring me to try new things.  One idea I love is to throw in some roasted veggies.  Those carrots will be the perfect addition.  And I am sure the avocados will make an appearance as well.  Maybe not in the same salad…but in one of my many versions of a salad.

Freddie is most excited about the chives.  Like I continue to mention week after week, that boy has lots of love for the entire onion family!  He enjoys them most when I mix them in with his morning eggs.  And do you know what else will go great with those morning eggs?  Some fresh squeezed citrus juice.  I have been mixing it up in the kitchen lately and have gone a little hog-wild with the juicing.  Last week I hand juiced all of the oranges and pixie tangerines.  I even added some grapefruit juice.  It made for a refreshing beverage.  So I am looking forward to a new rendition this week of pixie tangerines with a splash of lemon…yum!

For the cauliflower, it has been a while since I made a batch of Cheesy Cauliflower Pancakes.  Talk about delicious!  I love to serve mine alongside a juicy steak.  They are a great substitute for potatoes.  And I might just have to experiment by adding some diced leeks.  Until I began my CSA subscription, I had never cooked with leeks, but now I like to throw them into everything.  The flavor is so mild but I find it can make a nice, sweet, difference.

Your turn:  Any new ideas of favorite recipes you want to share?  What would you do with this box of produce?  Looking forward to hearing what you have in mind :)

About these ads
Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

31 thoughts on “What’s in the Box? #26

1. [...] post is part of What’s in the Box?  Many CSA’s here in Massachusetts haven’t started yet, but we got our first summer [...]

2. I love leeks too, and they are great to throw in just about any dish! I posted a link for avocado, radish, and arugula crepes: http://realfoodrealdeals.com/2012/05/17/avocado-radish-and-arugula-crepes/.

3. Smedette says:

Avocados and cherries?!?! Awesome!

Leeks are probably my favorite onion. I love them roasted, in Asian soups, but my go-to with leeks is Potato-Leek Soup.

• inherchucks says:

Everyone keeps mentioning potato-leek soup…as much as I love soups I have never made or tried that soup. Looks like I have no choice but to embark on this tasty journey. Thanks for your suggestions :)

4. I love avocados and cherries too. A sandwich on whole grain bread with avocado and roasted veggies hits the spot. I posted a link to a Bacon, Tomato, and Arugula Pizza, http://omohundroadventure.wordpress.com/2012/05/16/onion-bacon-tomato-and-arugula-pizza/#comments. You can also use the same recipe and substitute leeks for the onions.

5. Sharlea says:

I’m hoping for leeks, too. Just for potato-leek soup. And, OMG, I would LUV cherries!! I don’t expect to see those here, though.

6. Beautiful! I’m interested to find out what you do with the swiss chard! Just linked up.

7. sweatermeat says:

I am also dying for cherries! I ALSO have some leftover cauliflower that I grated half of to use as rice, and am totally making those pancakes! And you should throw your chives in with yours, or make these gems – http://uglyfoodtastesbetter.com/2012/01/15/cheesy-breakfast-biscuit-sandwiches/

As for the leeks, might i recommend adult onion rings! haha i cut mine in to 1/4″ rings and roast them in olive oil and salt, they are a perfect replacement for onion rings if you are trying to be healthier. : )

8. Man, you get a lot of fruit. Veggies grow great here in Texas, but besides melons and the occasional orange, we don’t get much fruit. Jealous!

9. Beans, Figs and Katz says:

i want cherries! there are orchards in viriginia, not far from us, so i think we’re going to pick some in a few weeks!

this week our csa had: broccoli, cauliflower, beets, snap peas, leeks, radicchio, and fennel.

here’s a link to our tofu and broccoli: http://beansfigsandkatz.wordpress.com/2012/05/18/tofu-and-broccoli-with-zingy-garlic-sauce/

10. Kelly says:

Linked up above! Can’t wait for our fruit/veggie CSA to begin so we have something to go with (and alternate with) all our meat!

11. I linked up too. Great to see so many other produce geeks out there! So many people to learn from. :)

12. Jen says:

Linked up! The cherries look so good…

13. [...] of the In her chucks CSA link up party Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeOne blogger likes this [...]

14. All linked up. Thoese cherries look lovely.

15. Lauren says:

I was just wondering the other day when cherry season was going to start. Looks like it must be now!

16. Mason says:

All linked up with this week’s box contents and the lovage soup recipe.

I am envious of your cherries this week. I’m pretty sure I saw some at the market this week, but the stall was packed, so I took a pass.

17. Lesley says:

My absolute favorite recipe for cauliflower is this one from Smitten Kitchen: http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/10/cauliflower-and-parmesan-cake/

I got chard in the box I just picked up. I really like it in pasta, with just a little lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.