Roasted Beets with Gorgonzola and Walnuts

Nothing says summer like bright colors, backyard barbecues and farm fresh veggies.  And even though the official first day of summer is still a few weeks away, I couldn’t help but get a head start on the festivities.

Last week’s link party yielded some incredible beet recipes (check out all the links written in the comments).  There were so many wonderful ideas, it was hard to decide where to start.  Luckily, I have quite a bit of beets in my fridge, so I can enjoy a bunch of different beet dishes :)

This is a recipe I have been dying to try.  Our friends and neighbors made this dish during the holidays and I have been dreaming about it ever since.  Believe it or not, with all the beets I get in my CSA box, I have never taken a stab at roasting them.  But now that I have reaped the benefits, I plan on preparing my beets this way more often.  They are so sweet and delicious!

Ingredients

2 pounds of medium sized beets, greens removed and scrubbed

1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts

1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese

4 tablespoons red wine vinegar

Preparation

1.  Adjust oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 400 degrees.  Wrap the beets individually in foil and place them on a rimmed baking sheet.  Roast until a skewer can be inserted easily into a beet, 45 minutes to 1 hour.  If the beets are different sizes, remove the smaller ones from the oven as they become tender.

2.  While the beets are in the oven, toast walnuts in a dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 5 minutes.

3.  Remove beets from the oven, open the foil packets, and allow to cool for 10 minutes.  Rub off the skins using paper towels.  Slice the beets 1/4 inch thick.

4.  Add beets to a large bowl and toss with vinegar, cheese and toasted nuts.  Serve hot, at room temperature, or chilled.

Recipe slightly adapted from The America’s Test Kitchen Family Cookbook

The roasted beets, cheese and nuts are a great combination.  The bitterness of the walnuts and sharpness of the cheese is a nice balance to the sweetness of the beets.  As yummy as this dish was on its own, this trio would also work well atop a bed of fresh garden greens.

We served the beets alongside a spread of grilled chicken, marinated flank steak, grilled veggies and mashed potatoes.  It was a true feast!  But then again, isn’t that what summer cookouts are all about?

Your turn:  What are some of the dishes you are looking forward to making (and eating) this summer?  I look forward to reading your responses :)

About these ads
Tagged , , , , , , , , , ,

32 thoughts on “Roasted Beets with Gorgonzola and Walnuts

1. Tammy says:

Beautiful! I also roasted beets this weekend but they didn’t look nearly as gorgeous as yours. I love to have them in the fridge in order to throw them in salads. As long as I’ll take time to roast them up front, they never go to waste.

2. Sharlea says:

Oh. Yum. I’m thinking balsamic vinegar, though …

• inherchucks says:

That would be a wonderful substitute…I almost did that, but I wanted to give the red wine vinegar a chance…and you know what, it was PERFECT! Although coming from America’s Test Kitchen I am not the least bit surprised…they really know their stuff :)

3. What absolutely incredible looking beetroot – if only I liked the taste of the darned thing :D

4. This is so gorgeous! I love America’s Test Kitchen…I am a Cook’s Illustrated addict!

5. food4five says:

These look delicious – I will roast the beets that I know will be in my CSA and serve them with whatever blue cheese happens to be in my fridge! And the summer dish I can’t wait for – sliced heirloom tomatoes in balsamic vinegar- mmmm.

6. Lauren says:

This sounds fabulous! Next time I get beets…

As for what I’m looking forward to making, pretty much anything with tomatoes, but really, just a simple salad with cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and some fleur de sel… yummmmm.

7. Beautiful dish, beautiful photo! I wish I had some of that right now!

8. This looks beautiful. And I always need ideas for beets! With regard to recipe ideas, I don’t recommend chocolate beet cake (see http://artofnaturalliving.com/2010/03/22/and-the-late-bird-gets%E2%80%A6-shhh-beet-cake/ for full story)

9. good lord! i love roasted beets – and you paired them gloriously with gorgonzola and walnuts. i am a fan of a little balsamic reduction too.

ps. i’m jealous you get garlic in your CSA! we don’t – but i guess it hasn’t really come into season here yet. lucky!

10. That looks like a perfect side dish…. Roasted beets and Gorgonzola …. Yum!

11. meg says:

This reminds me that I still have a bag of beets wilting in the fridge. Looks like a tasty way to use them up!

12. ye-mek says:

It looks very interesting to us. We make beets for several ways but this one look different to us. We will try it.

13. I ♥ to eat says:

Such a pretty salad, and so easy to prepare! I’m gonna have to try this next week!

14. […] lunch leftovers. Which I really needed so thank you again Julie!I also enjoyed leftovers this beet salad, slightly adapted for my tastes but still excellent. Thanks to Heather for the great idea of […]