What I Ate Wednesday #5

Oh, how I love holiday weekends.  They are always full of plenty of rest, lots of fun and tons of delicious food.  Labor Day was the perfect way to celebrate our 4 weeks of clean eating.  We decided to have a barbecue with our friends and neighbors and whipped up some pretty yummy dishes.  The biggest hit was Freddie’s ribs.  Since we got together, Freddie has been begging me to prepare ribs for him.  But after doing some reading and browsing on the internet, they always looked like such a daunting task.  So Freddie decided to take the bull by the horns and give it a go (mind you, Freddie’s cooking repertoire consists of scrambled eggs, sandwiches, burgers and hot dogs).  And his efforts were successful!  We scarfed down every last bite.  But he promised me that he would make another batch so I could post them on the blog.  I’m kind of loving this new cooking side of the hubby.  I think I just fell in love with him all over again.

Now that the holiday is over, it’s back to business as usual.  Which means, even though I am no longer on a clean eating plan, I will be doing my best to stay on track by making good choices.  And this commitment to a new way of life couldn’t come at a better time.  Jenn from Peas and Crayons has reinvented What I Ate Wednesday once again and this month it’s all about setting new goals and falling into good habits (such a clever one, that Jenn).  My goal is to continue with my clean eating journey, falling into the habit of making good clean choices and finding new and creative ways to satisfy my cravings.

So let’s see how I put my goals into action today…

Breakfast:

Barbara’s Shredded Wheat biscuits, 1 cup milk and 1 banana sliced

Lunch:

Gobbler Burger:  Ground turkey patty char-broiled, topped with grilled red onion, lettuce, sprouts, cheddar cheese and avocado, served on a whole wheat bun with 1000 island dressing

After Lunch Treat:

5 yogurt covered pretzels

5 dark chocolate covered pretzels

Dinner:

Miso-Glazed White Sea Bass:  Pan-seared, marinated in a sweet white miso reduction and served over a bed of sautéed long beans with crispy risotto cake

Candied Apple-Pecan Salad with crumbled bleu cheese and balsamic vinaigrette

Late Night Snack:

1 mango peeled and chopped

After 4 weeks of 5 home cooked meals a day, Freddie and I finally enjoyed some take out today.  It is not often that we eat out, but it was nice to get a break from the kitchen.  Dinner was a treat!  It was what I craved most when I was pregnant with Harper.  In fact, I probably ended up eating it once a week (hard to say no to a hungry pregnant mommy with a strong craving).

So how’d I do?  Overall, not too bad.  I indulged a bit with the pretzels but it was all in moderation.  Breakfast was a “greatest hits” from the meal plan, and with all the leftover cereal I have in the pantry, I will probably be eating this for the rest of the week.  But it was a great way to start off the day.

Hope your day (and holiday weekend) was filled with delicious eats :)  Happy Hump Day!

Your turn:  What are some of your goals for the upcoming month?  Any healthy choices that you have been thinking about that you want to launch into action?  Looking forward to hearing your responses.

About these ads
Tagged , , , , , , , , ,

20 thoughts on “What I Ate Wednesday #5

1. naimavanswol says:

Looks yummy! My goal is the same as its been for about a year, drop 15 pounds! LOL! We will see…

2. makeitsnappy says:

Oh, so many goals. I took part in a vegan challenge about a year ago, and really feel like launching a modified version of that would be a good thing right now. (Been thinking that for a couple of months, actually, but for real this time! lol) And cutting waaay back on takeout, which became a summer staple. It’s going to be great!

• inherchucks says:

A friend of mine did a vegan challenge for the first 3 months of the year. She felt great! I give props to whoever can eat vegan. I am WAY too much of a meat lover to let that go. Good luck on your journey :)

3. Lynn says:

I have an ever growing list of goals that I never seem to have enough time for! This month though, I’m going to try to cut way back on the amount of sugar I consume. I’ve got such a sweet tooth, so it’s going to be hard, but it’s something that is definitely worth doing.

• inherchucks says:

I think that is an excellent goal. That was part of my goal with the clean eating. I realized I can’t live without sweets completely but finding new ways to make them without sugar seemed to work for me (like my sweet potato peanut butter blondes…yum!). Thanks for sharing and good luck!

4. Brigid says:

Mmm . . . risotto cakes sound delicious. I always intend to make them, but then I never end up with leftover risotto. ;)

My big goal for August was getting back into the swing of cooking every meal at home, with one dinner out allowed each week. September is quickly turning into “how many things can I make with my sourdough starter?” month, though I should probably think of something a little more practical.

• inherchucks says:

That’s a great goal! and I like that there is one meal out a week, that will help give some relief. I normally cook everyday but having some takeout yesterday was a nice break. Looking forward to some homemade soup tonight :)

5. Looks like a really great day of eats!

6. The hardest goals for me – no caffeine or alcohol. Today was day one of half-caf, and hoping for full decaf by end of the month. Oh, and being 5 lbs lighter wouldn’t hurt, either :).

7. Aunt Rosemary says:

Uncle Ang can taste Freddie’s ribs. Sounds like we missed a great bar-b-que.

• inherchucks says:

Would have loved to have you guys. Next time for sure. Freddie’s ribs will be a new staple around here :) So good to see you on Sunday though. Thanks again for making the trip.

8. Tammy says:

I love the idea of what I ate Wednesdays!

9. Bec says:

Oh wow looks fantastic :) I just love mango too! :)

10. Loveee sea bass, and yours looks incredible!!