Happy Valentine’s Day! Hope your love holiday was filled with lots of hugs, kisses and chocolate ;)
As for me, Valentine’s Day was spent with my two loves. Breakfast with little Harper Do while Freddie was at the dentist. Family cuddles during a midday nap. A post nap music session in the living room (Freddie played the drums while Harper and I danced, sang and shook the maracas). A daddy/daughter swim class while mommy prepared a healthy dinner at home. And we ended the night with a fresh batch of Valentine’s day cookies for my big cookie monster (ps: that would be Freddie…)
Oh, and did I mention that today, Freddie and I are celebrating our 4 year anniversary? 4 years of love, laughter and the Lakers…Where has the time gone?
One of the many things I have to give Freddie credit for is my ability to cook. You see, before we got married, I had little to no experience in the kitchen. But once we were man and wife, I realized I had better find a way to get food on the table. Because we all know the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. And four year’s later, he still hurries to the table when dinner is called. Which means, I must be doing something right :)
And tonight was no different. Instead of a fancy dinner at a crowded restaurant, Freddie, Harper and I enjoyed a healthy meal in the comfort of our own home. Check out what we munched on…
1. First Thing: Amazing Grass’s Amazing Meal mixed with Coconut Water- Who needs a red bull or coffee when you have organic, raw greens? I kicked my caffeine habit when I got pregnant with Harper (in fact, you really don’t want to see me on caffeine anymore, talk about jumping off the walls…) so this is a great alternative to a morning, or afternoon pick me up.
2. Breakfast: Apple and Cheese Tortilla- I have made brie and apple quesadillas before but I never thought about eating them for breakfast. Well, Harper and I are huge fans of this new idea of apple and goat cheese quesadillas for breakfast. They were a huge hit! I can see this one going on repeat once the challenge is completed.
3. Lunch: Brown Rice Sushi- Another quick trip to Whole Foods for some tuna and avocado sushi. I was hoping I could make it to the sushi restaurant in time but Harper was ready for her nap so I wasn’t going to push it. In fact, she fell asleep minutes after we got in the car. So I enjoyed my sushi in the front seat while Harper snoozed.
4. Snack: Amazing Grass Bar- Ok, I know every time I eat one of these I tell you it’s my favorite. But seriously, this one IS my favorite. I love almonds and like the label reads, this bar is all about the almonds. I have to pick up a case of these next time I am at the store.
5. Dinner: Baked Salmon with Sautéed Kale- Throwing a filet of fish in the oven is so easy and so yummy, I wish I did it more often. This meal plan has a lot of fish recipes and I love each and every one of them. We are so lucky to live close to the water where fish is being caught and sold in less than an hour. There is nothing quite like a fresh filet of fish with a side of delicious veggies.
6. Snack: Avo-Banana Pudding with Fruit- If there is anything better than pudding, it’s pudding topped with fresh berries. And after being spoiled for the last few weeks with fresh strawberries, I hope they are here to stay.
1. First Thing: Amazing Grass’s Amazing Meal mixed with Coconut Water- Nothing says love like starting your day out with a green drink. And as much as I adore my reusable straw, today I had to show my Valentine’s spirit with a bright red straw.
2. Breakfast: Peanut Butter on Eziekel Bread Topped with Apples- When Freddie and I first got married, one of my go to breakfast options was a whole wheat english muffin topped with peanut butter and apples. I love apples and nut butter together anyways, and the toast just makes it that much easier to marry the two flavors together.
3. Lunch: Veggie Sandwich Wrap- I have a confession. This is the first sandwich wrap I have ever made. And I had a blast experimenting with all the different ingredients. For starters, I used a sprouted tortilla for the base. Then I spread a layer of avocado topped with grated goat cheddar and carrots. On top of that I added a layer of thinly sliced chicken breast followed by broccoli sprouts and spinach leaves. Talk about filling! Not only was it oozing with delicious goodness, it gave me the energy I needed to get through the day.
4. Snack: Edamame- Edamame is one of my favorite snacks. They are easy, healthy and can be found at Trader Joes (I love all things TJS!). I like to sprinkle them with salt, dip them in tamari or simply eat them as is.
5. Dinner: Asian Salad with Chicken- A good salad dressing will change your life. And for me, nothing is better than a homemade dressing. With ingredients like fresh squeezed orange juice, sesame seeds and minced ginger, this Chinese inspired salad dressing is the bees-nees.
6. Snack: Almond Milk Ice Cream- Another day of ice cream? Don’t mind if I do :) Might have finished off the carton, but hey…it’s Valentine’s Day!
Can’t believe that I only have a few more days left of this challenge. This is by far my favorite meal plan yet. Not only has it provided me with tons of new ideas for healthy meals, but it has taught me so much about the value of food and the importance of making the choice to eat whole, raw and organic foods.
Wanna join me in turning over a new leaf? Check out Amazing Grass’s Two Week Challenge and commit this new year to creating a new you :)
*Full Disclosure: Amazing Grass provided me with one bottle of Amazing Meal free of charge. I was not paid to write this post. With exception of some of the factual information given about the various products, all opinions regarding the products are my own and 100% honest.