17 thoughts on “What’s in the Box? #83

1. Kirsten says:

Heather,
    I’m really starting to see the climate difference in your box again! All last winter I’d drool over your creations while all was dormant here in Ohio, but over the summer we were getting similar items. Now you’ve got what looks like Endless Summer Box to me, and mine is definitely leaning towards fall. I’ve been getting pumpkins for the past two weeks, and with my own homegrown squash (still don’t know what kind decided to grow, wish I was lucky like Sarah to get a cantaloupe out of the compost bin) I’ve restarted the Strategic Winter Squash Reserve.
    This time, due to the recent addition of a pair of elderly wiener dogs who were very male when they were picked up as strays in the summer and are busily ‘claiming’ my home, the Strategic Winter heck the SWSR will be off the ground, up on a set of bookshelves in the cold corner of my breakfast nook/photo studio/daughter’s homework space. I’ve got a basket for onions and garlic, one for sweet and white potatoes, and one for squash. I’ll shuffle these around a bit each week.

Speaking of sweet potatoes . . . . I’ve got 2 recipes to link up using them! First, I filled in on HOMEGROWN.org doing the CSA Cookoff segment (Jennifer was busy at Farm AId). I created a slow cooker dish using sweet potatoes, chick peas, and a handful of chicken tenders as a seasoning–Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chicken Curry.
    I’m also sharing my favorite fall stew, one that my body craves every year since I first read it on Alanna’s blog Kitchen Parade 6 years ago–Chicken Cider Stew. Sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, apples, and apple cider make this an unusual chicken stew, and very delicious.
    I’m also sharing another slow cooker recipe, Green Tomato, Pork, White Bean and Grits chili. I really had no clue about how useful green tomatoes are in food! I’m reading my 1950s Betty Crocker Cookbook and getting even more recipe ideas (though nothing tops the Cabin Casserole in cute names).
    Finally, I’ve got a pizza idea for probably half of one of your luscious apples–Cheddar Apple Onion Bacon pizza. And writing that out reminds me that I haven’t written tomorrow’s pizza post yet. Better get linking and get cracking.

I’m glad that you and Harper enjoyed your years together, and wish you all the best in your new job. Transitions aren’t easy, but your attitude is terrific and that goes a long way.

Thanks for hosting!
    (Can you believe I rambled on all that without my first tea?)

• Kirsten says:

Ok, so I can believe I wrote this without tea, because I’ve already linked up the Green Tomato Blah Blah Chili, that was last week–duh! Instead, the new Wednesday recipe that I’m linking up is Special Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Coconut Bars. I don’t have a photo of the finished dish, so you’ll have to look at my kids when they were little and cute instead ;) (they did approve the use of this photo).

• inherchucks says:

Thanks for all your kind words Kirsten. Can’t wait to see what all your goodies look like :)

2. Turkey pumpkin chili?! That sounds absolutely perfect use up my bell peppers and a pumpkin that I got in my CSA last week. Out weather up here in northern Michigan is starting to truly feel like fall and I’m in dire need of some new fall recipes!

3. Beth says:

I have loads of cherry tomatoes right now, so I am definitely keeping that chicken in mind for dinner this week! Love all of your goodies. :)

4. […] usual, I’m sharing my CSA goodies with the link party over at InHerChucks. Check it […]

5. Good luck with the new job, Heather! I’m pretty sure you’ll be a smashing success! Love & Hugs! – Angie

6. Lucy says:

CHICKEN AND SWISS CHARD WITH COUSCOUS IN BRODO! Hoe did I miss this one? Looks so perfect for this chilly weather.

7. Lucy says:

How not hoe…sorry

8. Fresh Ginger says:

I forgot to congratulate/console you on your new adventures. How ’bout you spread your wings and fly a little bit, too? :) Good luck to you. I hope you keep bloggin’ too.