Happy New Year everyone! I hope your 2012 went out with a bang :) I fell asleep at 10:30 so I was celebrating in my dreams. I guess that’s what happens when you are chasing after a toddler and in the midst of moving. Lots of exciting things happening in 2013. Grateful to see another year!
But before I start my journey in the new year, I wanted to do a quick recap of the last few weeks. December has been a busy month full of fun, family and festivities. Take a look at what we have been up to…
1. Day 17: on the floor- As I have mentioned before, Harper loves to build castles with her Mega Blocks. But I think her favorite thing about these blocks is dumping them on the floor. Something about taking the bag and flipping it upside down and watching the blocks fall from the sky gives her a thrill. Thank goodness she is getting to be a pro at picking up after herself too. Because stepping on one of these in the middle of the night is no joke!
2. Day 18: makes you feel merry- I love this time of year for many reasons. But as far as my taste buds are concerned, peppermint definitely makes me feel merry. And these chocolate peppermint almonds are to die for! I picked up a container of them at Whole Foods and they only lasted a few days. Dangerous…but worth every bite :)
3. Day 19: something beginning with “s”- When the weather gets chilly, I like to make food that warms my soul. And this beef and butternut squash stew is a new favorite. I have plans to post the recipe soon…promise!
4. Day 20: weather- Being a California girl, I am used to one season…the 75 degree season, all year long! But this winter has been a bit chillier than usual. It’s hard to make out the temperature in this picture, but it reads 48. 48 is far below my level of comfort. Which means I am doing a lot of cozying up on the couch with my love bugs to keep warm.
5. Day 21: tree- There is no better gift than a homemade one. For the holidays, my mom handmade a few of these adorable trees using a collection of old sweaters that she cut into different size circles and strung together with some wire. I love all colors she used and of course the star on the top.
6. Day 22: decoration- During the holidays, there are decorations everywhere. But this is the most creative Christmas decoration I have seen. I stopped by to visit my girlfriend and fell in love with her house plant decorated with a strand of green garland, colored lights and one ornament. Tis the season…
7. Day 23: joy is___- ”shopping at Target with my toddler”. Harper loves to shop. Especially when it involves a shopping cart just her size. She was running up and down the aisles popping wheelies, giggling up a storm. Oh, the simple joys of youth are quite refreshing. Especially in the midst of the holiday rush.
8. Day 24: tradition/something you always do- Ever since I can remember, my parents would take me to church on Christmas Eve. To be honest, during my teenage years, it felt more like they were dragging me there, but now that I am old enough, I appreciate them teaching me the true meaning of Christmas. I am so excited to be able to pass on this tradition to Harper. It is a lovely way to celebrate the holiday together.
9. Day 25: lunchtime- Christmas morning is all about taking it easy. So by the time we got around to breakfast, it was pretty much lunchtime. Freddie requested my famous French Toast which we served with homemade orange juice and a side of crispy bacon.
10. Day 26: mess- I love to cook up a storm in the kitchen. The only downside is the dishes. Which is why I am grateful that we have a dishwasher. And an amazing husband. Because whatever doesn’t go in the dishwasher, he washes by hand. A little something he started when we first got married…I cook, he cleans. I happen to be a big fan of this agreement :)
11. Day 27: how you relax- Between being a wife, a mom and a music teacher, I don’t get much downtime. But even 5 minutes of solitude to play a game of Words with Friends can be quite relaxing. It helps to take my mind of things for a moment while still challenging my brain to think. In 2013, I will be working on getting some real relaxation time in, but for now, this will do.
12. Day 28: cold- My sister and her kids came to visit us from Texas. Whenever they come to town we like to hit up a few theme parks and other local attractions. This time we decided to take a trip to the aquarium to check out some penguins. Even though most penguins do not live in the snow, they always remind me of a colder climate.
13. Day 29: hot- For a belated Christmas present, I bought my brother a 6 month subscription to an Artisan Coffee Company (are you surprised?) To make it fun and festive, I wrote out a gift certificate and placed it inside of a hot beverage mug that was decorated with camo. A great gift for a coffee lover!
14. Day 30: something that made you smile this year- Nothing makes me smile more than watching my little girl grow up. Each day comes with new milestones and new adventures. I am so grateful to be on this wonderful journey of motherhood. It is an absolute joy!
15. Day 31: self-portrait- It wouldn’t be a self portrait if it didn’t include my Chucks. I have done and accomplished a lot this year. And all while wearing my Chucks. In celebration of the New Year, I picked up a fresh pair of Chucks in which to start my journey into 2013. There are lots of exciting things on the horizon and I look forward to sharing them with you.
If you haven’t figured it out by now, I LOVE photo challenges. And in 2013, I am excited to participate in a new photo challenge with Alli of the Big Green Parenting Experiment. I hope you will join me in capturing this new year with a photo a day. Check out this post for more details. And feel free to follow me on Instagram (@inherchucks) to keep up with the daily challenge.